Monday, August 10, 2009

Case of the Mondays

DH and I watched Office Space the other night and I couldn't help but laugh at the now infamous quote for Monday blues: "sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays"....

Hell yeah I do and I am not alone. I start getting disgruntled on Sunday afternoon as dark cloud rolls in at about 3pm on the Day of Rest. The end of the weekend draws quickly to a close and I am soon trying to figure out what to cook for the week, what to pack for our lunches and how I can accomplish all the ironing and laundry so I can start the week "fresh." Inevitably, the day of rest becomes the afternoon of frantic preparation.

Monday is trash day and we put ours out on Sunday evening. Maneuvering the giant green monster to the curb is just the sort of mundane activity that makes me anxious. Week in, week out, it seems like it's always trash day or the day before trash day or I am longing for trash day because the trash really stinks. It is not often that I long for the past, but, as you age, your dealings with trash deteriorate rapidly.

As a baby, someone else is entirely responsible for all of our waste disposal. During school years, the state generally picks up this obligation at school and public places - occasionally we may be asked to "take out the trash" by our parents as an exchange for free rent, food and clothing. When I moved out of home things got slightly worse as I was now solely responsible for removing household trash to a common location at the apartment complex. Still, this was not a bad gig. A quick trip to the utility area and I could hurl a trash bag into a massive container that had the vanishing properties of a Mary Poppins' suitcase. As if punishment for responsible home ownership, I now have to buy the crap, bring home the crap, unpack the crap, make the crap, clean up the crap, take out the crap, take out the crap can and then clean up the crap from the front yard because the trash man couldn't wait the five extra seconds for the can to empty completely before the mechanical arms returned the can to its rightful place on the driveway. And when I get home from work and see a dog slapping his chops on a suspect liquid seeping from my toppled over trash can, all I can think is "crap."

For all my complaints about trash day Monday(which I presume others share as well), I don't understand why Starbucks is not brimming with activity on Monday mornings. Starbucks recently announced that they are going to start serving alcohol in some locations. Personally, I think they have struck gold with this idea. Nobody cares about caffeine on Monday morning - give us liquor and make it a double.